Friday, February 25, 2005

It's never enough

My boss is in Hawaii this week. Two of our clients are there, and he's out on business. Predictably, he's extending his stay by using a couple of vacation days at the end, and even more predictably, those two clients are pretty much the last ones he'd ever give up. The interesting thing about the whole deal is that we work in Santa Monica, which is essentially a resort town - in fact, the city motto is "the real life alternative," replete with white sand beaches, sunshine 330 days a year, and a view of the Pacific. While I'm still not over the novelty of it all, being only a two-month resident of the area, I find that my fellow Angelinos pretty blasé about their geographic lot in life. I guess as an element of human nature, "familiarity breeds contempt" applies to just about all aspects of life, be it the place to live or the person you're with.

Using an extreme leap of logic (I am an Olympian logician!), this leads into the obvious conclusion that in order to maintain perpetual happiness about your living environs, you should start at the worst possible location in town - across the LAX departure runway in South-Central, under a bowling alley and above a crackhouse - and move every two or so years to someplace ever so slightly better, e.g. South Inglewood.

By extension, the key to a happy marriage would imply the exact opposite of what most cultures have traditionally established by way of nuptuals - in that on the first day of their life together, the couple should look and act as bad as humanly possible, and gradually improve as time passes.

An interesting conclusion arises: does this mean that were the contestants real, the reality show My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance may have resulted in the perfect marriage?

Diabolical.

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contrary to popular belief, the first year of marriage is actually the hardest for many. Otherwise, you've lived together already, or you're lying!
It does get better afterwards -you have a higher tolerance and you know how to NOT push the other person's buttons.

Santa Monican's are just too spoiled to appreciate their lovely town :P

Kim

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Kim: Hm. Len and Sonja are going to have an interesting first year, then!

Tao: Expectations Management. In my last role I started off awesome and ended weak. As a result, I got shafted big-time on my performance evaluation. This time around, I'm starting off weak and ending off (I hope) stronger. I'm hoping that will result in a better performance evaluation. Nevermind the fact that I'm doing poorly because I'm demotivated and unhappy... :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home